What I do
Artist and Professor of Emergent Digital Practices, and Director of the Clinic for Open Source Arts
- MFA, Digital Arts, State University of New York at Buffalo, 2003
- BFA, Sculpture, West Virginia University, 2001
- New Media Caucus
- The Clinic for Open-Source Arts
- Gwangju Korea
The W3FI is a social movement, a philosophy, a path to responsible connectivity between our online/offline lives and to each other.
Every day we find more and more of our lives integrated in the digital world, no longer able to lead separate lives, one virtual and one real. This means that we have to take control of and responsibility for how others see and relate to us in the digital world. We are proposing a new philosophy, a new strategy for our online interactions. The W3FI project is much more than an awareness campaign, it is a movement in social activism to ask a new set of questions for each of us every time we click, text, or share a photo.
At the end of the W3FI interactive installation experience people are asked to become part of the W3FI, the collective of people who lift up each other by interacting positively, with encouragement, help, sharing, and understanding. In this way the project addresses issues ranging from cyber-bullying to open-source knowledge.
- Taichung, Taiwan
A new Installation artwork created just for this show.
- Willimantic CT USA
We were invited by the Curator and Director of the Biennial of the Americas to submit artwork proposal and it was accepted into the international exhibition.
- Denver, CO, USA
My METRO animation was integrated into the television show Off The Air, Season 4 Episode 4: Transportation.
It is available online and in 10 countries on Cable TV
- Becoming Tangible
- Emerging Terrains
- The Work of Chis Coleman
- Installation Arts - a Conversation
- Artists of the 2012 404 Festival
- Culture Lab / ISIS Arts Residency, Newcastle University, ISIS Arts Foundation
- Visiting Scholar Residency, Art and Technology Department, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- 2014 Top of the Town - Best Artist, 5280 Magazine
- Appointed as Visiting Professor, Central China Normal University
- Humanities Institute Endowment, Humanities Institute