Christopher D. Coleman
What I do
Artist and Professor of Emergent Digital Practices, and Director of the Clinic for Open Source Arts
Open Source Software, creative coding, Art and Technology
Chris Coleman was born in West Virginia, USA and he received his MFA from SUNY Buffalo in New York. His work includes sculptures, videos, creative coding and interactive installations. Coleman has had his work in exhibitions and festivals in more than 20 countries including Brazil, Argentina, Singapore, Finland, the U.A.E., Italy, Germany, France, China, the UK, Latvia, and across North America. His open source software project developed with Ali Momeni, called Maxuino has been downloaded more than 75,000 times by users in over 120 countries and is used globally in physical computing classrooms.
- MFA, Digital Arts, State University of New York at Buffalo, 2003
- BFA, Sculpture, West Virginia University, 2001
- New Media Caucus
My research looks at the intersection of technology and creativity via animation, VR, digital fabrication, creative coding, and electro-mechanics. I explore our collective future and how people relate to one another across borders and identities.
Areas of Research
Open Source Software
Art and Technology
- The Clinic for Open-Source Arts
(2014). W3FI: Taiwan . National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts, Taichung, Taiwan..
(2016). Interstitial Zones/Spectra. Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic CT USA..
(2015). METRO: Re/De-construction. Denver Digerati, Gwangju Korea..
(2015). Unclaimed / Biennial of the Americas. Biennial of the Americas, Denver, CO, USA..
(2015). Off The Air. Adult Swim..
(2014). Becoming Tangible. Tokyo, Japan: Tokyo Polytechnic University..
(2015). Emerging Terrains. ACT Festival. Gwangju Korea..
(2015). The Work of Chis Coleman. arte computacional. Sao Paulo Brazil: Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo..
(2014). Installation Arts - a Conversation. International Symposium of Electronic Arts. Dubai UAE: Zayed University..
(2012). Artists of the 2012 404 Festival. 404 International Festival. Rosario Argentina: National University of Rosario..
- Culture Lab / ISIS Arts Residency, Newcastle University, ISIS Arts Foundation
- Visiting Scholar Residency, Art and Technology Department, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- 2014 Top of the Town - Best Artist, 5280 Magazine
- Appointed as Visiting Professor, Central China Normal University
- Humanities Institute Endowment, Humanities Institute