Rachel A. Walsh
Associate Professor, Italian; Chair, Languages, Literatures & Cultures
What I do
I am Chair of the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures. I also am an adviser and mentor, and a professor of Italian language, literature, & culture.
18th-Century Italian Literature, 19th-Century Italian Literature, canon formation and literary history, Italian theatre
Dr. Walsh actively serves the profession at the national level. Her roles have included positions on the Program Committee for the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (2019, Chair 2020), and the Executive Committee for the MLA's Forum on 17th-, 18th-, & 19th-Century Italian Language, Literature, & Culture (2013-18) and the MLA Delegate Assembly (2017).
Advising and mentoring are integral aspects of Dr. Walsh work. She views both as extensions of teaching that have the potential to advance student persistence and success, as well as positively advancing faculty development. Her current career goal is to foster collaborations, envision and streamline new and innovative processes that ultimately move conversations and initiatives (with students and faculty) to the next phase.
- Ph.D., Romance Languages and Literatures, University of Chicago, 2007
- MA, Romance Languages and Literatures, University of Chicago, 1998
- AB, Music Theory & Composition, The College of William and Mary, 1997
- Modern Language Association
- American Society of Eighteenth-Century Studies
- American Association of Teachers of Italian
- Newberry Library, Monticello College Foundation Fellow - $25,200, Newberry Library, Chicago IL
- Faculty Advisor of the Year, Division of Student Life, University of Denver
- OTL $20k Grant, University of Denver