M. Roger Holland, II
Teaching Associate Professor
What I doConductor, composer, pianist, singer, lecturer.
African American Music, Theology
Roger is the newly appointed editor of the In Spirit and Truth series published by GIA Publications, Inc., which reflects the aesthetic of Black Catholic worship. In addition, he serves as Liturgical Music Consultant for the Archdiocese of New York Office of Black Ministry and Music Director for their special masses at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Commissioned works include The Dream and The Dreamer, The Tribulation Suite, The Call, and concert settings of Agnus Dei and Magnificat. Original music collections published by GIA include “Building Up the Kingdom,” featuring the single “Worthy God,” and his recent collection, “Honey from the Rock, Vol. 1 – 4.” He has played for the Broadway productions of Oprah Winfrey’s The Color Purple and the Tony award winning show, Memphis. In November 2016 Timothy Cardinal Dolan of the Archdiocese of New York presented Roger with the Pierre Toussaint Medal for service.
- M.Div., Theology, Union Theological Seminary, 2012
- MM, Piano Performance, Manhattan School of Music, 1991
- BM, Music Education, Westminster Choir College, 1988
- American Choral Directors Association
- National Association of Pastoral Musicians
- Gospel Music Workshop of America
- Pierre Toussaint Medallion , Archdiocese of New York
- Excellence in Ethnomusicology Award, Colorado Gospel Music Academy & Hall of Fame