Kamilah B. Legette
What I do
I am an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of Denver, conducting research, teaching, student mentoring, and university service.
- BA, Psychology, Spelman College
- MA, Counselor Education , UNC Charlotte
- Ph.D., Human Development and Family Studies, UNC Greensboro
I am director of the Reducing Inequities in Student Education (R.I.S.E.) lab. The R.I.S.E. lab conducts research on the following topics:
1. Elucidating mechanisms impacting racial disparities in youth school discipline and curricular tracking experiences
2. Understanding the implications of racialized schooling experiences on youth academic, social-emotional, and identity development.
2. Examining protective factors for racially minoritized youth experiencing racial discrimination.
3. Investigating racial beliefs and emotions as mechanisms of racial bias
4. Designing and implementing interventions and teacher professional development programs to promote racial equity in youth schooling experiences.
5. Promoting race consciousness in social-emotional learning and development for teachers and youth.
Areas of Research
Dr. Legette will be reviewing applications for fall 2023 admission.