The certificate in piano pedagogy prepares musicians for professional careers through advanced levels of coursework, teaching practice, and assessment while maintaining high performance standards. This intensive one-year program combines applied lessons with an overview of elementary and intermediate pedagogical constructs, group teaching techniques, current research trends, updated pedagogical materials and sequencing, and practicum experience.
Practical experience is integrated with all pedagogy coursework through the Lamont Piano Preparatory Program, a piano teaching laboratory. This program provides a unique opportunity for supervised teaching experience in both group and individual lesson settings while using a comprehensive and nationally respected curriculum. Faculty feedback and video recording provide individualized mentoring for maximum professional growth.
This certificate can either be pursued concurrently with the MM degree in Performance with an emphasis in piano or as a stand-alone program.
About the Program
- Twenty-five minutes of music consisting of two or more contrasting works or movements from any time period or combination of time periods. Repertoire selections are allowed from the same time period as long as the pieces demonstrate contrasting styles and are by different composers.
- A research paper related to music education/pedagogy
- A 20-minute video of teaching
- An interview with the piano pedagogy faculty
For more information, visit the Piano studio page
The 24-credit certificate in piano pedagogy includes lessons, pedagogy coursework, and teaching practicum. It is designed to be stackable for students pursuing the MM in performance, with 12 credits that overlap with that degree. Candidates will normally be enrolled in the Pedagogy Certificate program for one year. A candidate may, however, request to remain in the program longer with the stipulation that they must enroll in practicum for the duration of their time in the program. Students will also complete these non-coursework requirements:
- Pedagogy written comprehensive exam via Canvas at the completion of the certificate.
- Juries, as required by the performance area, outlined in the Lamont Handbook.
Learn more about Lamont's Certificate in Piano Pedagogy.