Resources for Current Students

The Department of Spanish Language, Literary & Cultural Studies is committed to helping students succeed. Please check out the resources and frequently asked questions below, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need further support. Your advisor is a great place to start! 

background pattern

MyDU gives you access to registration, payment and financial aid information.

Visit MyDU

Undergraduate Advising

Your major advisor is assigned when you declare a Spanish major and can be found in PioneerWeb:

  • Click on the Student tab.
  • In the box labeled Advising and Registration Tools click My Student Profile.
  • Select the correct term in the top right corner.
  • Your advisors should be listed at the bottom of the center box.

Contact us at if you have already declared a Spanish major and do not have an advisor assigned.

Undergraduate Financial Aid

College and University Support

DU and the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences are here to provide a range of aid options, including scholarships, grants and internship funding.

View DU Financial Aid

View CAHSS Grants and Scholarships

Arthur L. Campa Scholarship for Latino Studies

The Arthur L. Campa Scholarship helps fund study abroad opportunities for Spanish majors.

Learn More

Spanish Department Resources

For office hours, course descriptions, major/minor declarations and more, visit our knowledge base of helpful guides, articles and FAQs.

Language Placement Testing

New to Spanish

Spanish students who have not taken Spanish courses and do not have a background of speaking Spanish will enroll in Spanish 1001.

Spanish Classroom Experience

Spanish students who have studied Spanish will take a placement test before enrolling to determine an appropriate class level. Placement testing is conducted by DU's Center for World Languages & Cultures.

Set Up a Placement Test

Heritage Speakers or Bilingual Students

Students who speak Spanish at home with parents, siblings or extended family members are encouraged to take the Spanish for Heritage Speakers Assessment and enroll in Spanish for Heritage Speakers. Bilingual students who completed part of their education in a Spanish-speaking country or had a significant study abroad experience should contact Professor Lina Reznicek-Parrado to determine if Spanish for Heritage Speakers is an appropriate fit.

Learn More About Spanish for Heritage Speakers
DU campus

Check our knowledge base for more detailed information, guides and resources.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? You can also use this page to contact our staff. 

SLLCS Knowledge Base

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Which Spanish course should I take?

    If you have studied Spanish before in any capacity, please take a placement exam through the Center for World Languages and Cultures. You can find more information about this exam and how to complete it on CWLC’s webpage. This test will assign you to the most appropriate level of Spanish in DU’s program.

    If you have taken the placement test and would like more information on the course you place into, review the guide in our knowledge base. If you feel that your placement is incorrect, you can contact an advisor based on the Spanish level you tested into. 

    SPAN 1001-1003: Contact CWLC for advising 

    SPAN 2001-2003: Contact Professor Kathleen Guerra 

    SPAN 2100 or higher: Contact the professor for the course you would like to enroll in

    If you speak Spanish at home or have lived in a Spanish-speaking environment, consider enrolling in Spanish for Heritage Speakers (SPAN 2200). Contact Professor Lina Reznicek-Parrado for more information on this program, or take the placement exam

  • Do you offer courses in languages other than Spanish?

    Yes! Professor Alison Krögel teaches courses on Quechua language and culture. Contact Alison Krögel for details.

  • How do I fulfill my foreign language requirement by taking Spanish?

    If you have never taken a Spanish course before, you must finish the complete first-year sequence (SPAN 1001-1002-1003).

    If you have taken Spanish before, take the Spanish placement exam through the CWLC

    • If you place into a 1000-level class, start at the level you placed into and complete the full first-year sequence
    • If you place above the first-year sequence, you must take one four-credit course above the SPAN 1000 level (SPAN 2001 or higher)

    Depending on your major, you may have additional requirements. Check with your major or other academic advisor to ensure that you understand your specific situation.

  • Can I audit a Spanish course?

    Spanish courses can only be audited by a full-time student at the University of Denver. If you are a full-time student looking to audit, contact the professor of the course that you are interested in. They have the sole authority to decide if they want to permit auditing in their course. You may also be interested in exploring the option of enrolling for no credit (NC) if you are a current DU student. This, too, is at the instructor’s discretion. Additional guides and information can be found in our knowledge base

  • I am a graduate student at the University of Denver. Can I take one of your Spanish courses?

    None of our courses offer graduate-level credit. Therefore, while it is possible for enrolled graduate students to take our courses, they typically will not count towards your degree. Depending on your program and enrollment status, there may also be tuition charges or implications. Contact your advisor or program coordinator to explore your options.

  • Do my AP/IB Spanish credits count towards a Spanish major or minor?

    Yes. An AP score of 3 or higher or an IB score of 4 or higher will be counted for credit towards your Spanish major or minor. See the Office of the Registrar’s page for updated information on exactly how your credits will be applied to your major or minor. As always, we recommend contacting your advisor for confirmation that your credits will apply. For more detailed guides and information regarding Spanish credits access our knowledge base

  • Do my Spanish transfer credits count towards DU’s foreign language requirement?

    It depends. AP or IB credit that is transferred to the University of Denver does not satisfy your language requirement. Take the language placement exam to determine what course(s) you need to take to satisfy the foreign language requirement.

    Courses taught at other universities or abroad may be used in some cases to satisfy your language requirement. Contact the office of the registrar and your major advisor to discuss your options. For more detailed guides and information regarding Spanish credits access our knowledge base

  • Still have questions we didn’t answer?

    Visit the SLLCS knowledge base for up-to-date information and resources on anything related to our courses, programs, student resources, how-to guides and more. 

    If you still can’t find the answer you’re looking for, perhaps a different department on campus can help. The guide below will help direct you to the unit best equipped to answer any outlying questions you may have.

Resources Across Campus


If you're looking for help/information about...

  • check

    Enrolling as a DU student to take SLLCS courses

    Office of Admissions

  • check

    Enrolling in classes in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, or Russian

    Languages, Literatures & Cultures (LL&C) (majors, minors, and upper-level language, literature and culture courses)

    CWLC (for first-year courses, non-credit courses, and/or tutoring)

  • check

    Enrolling in classes in less commonly taught languages


    SLLCS (for Quechua)


Language Placement and the Foreign Language Requirement

If you're looking for help/information about...

Study Abroad

If you're looking for help/information about...


Tutoring and Non-Credit Language Courses

If you're looking for help/information about...


Transfer Credits

If you're looking for help/information about...