The MA in Media and Public Communication combines theory and practice to prepare you for successful careers in strategic communication, public relations, health communication, nonprofit management, government communication, media education, research and more. Choose a concentration based on your interests and professional goals:
- The Strategic Communication Concentration spans the fields of public relations, public affairs, health communication and brand management. Courses emphasize ethical and socially responsible communication in nonprofit, government and corporate settings.
- The Media and Globalization Concentration is designed for students interested in pursuing careers as researchers and educators. It explores how media industries and technologies influence cultural, economic and political processes in contemporary societies.
Students enrolled in the Media and Public Communication master’s program may choose to earn a Graduate Certificate in Public Diplomacy without the need for additional credits.
Concentration in Strategic Communication
Gain expertise in campaign planning and evaluation, audience research, message design, brand positioning, multicultural communication, research methods, communication theory and media law. Work with real clients to create strategic communication campaigns and gain valuable experience. Develop a professional portfolio to help you stand out on the job market and graduate with the skills and confidence needed to succeed in nonprofit, government, corporate or agency settings.Learn More
Concentration in Media and Globalization
Gain in-depth theoretical knowledge of media, culture and public communication. Develop research skills and use them to explore important topics of interest to you. Immerse yourself in courses that emphasize critical and conceptual thinking, cultural awareness, and a deep understanding of the role of media and communication in social change in local and global contexts. Expand your intellectual horizons and prepare to pursue careers in research and higher education.Learn More
Graduate Certificate in Public Diplomacy
The Graduate Certificate in Public Diplomacy is a joint program with the Josef Korbel School of International Studies. Combine your coursework in strategic communication with classes in international relations and explore how governments and non-state actors use communication to inform, influence and engage with international publics. Choose a regional or thematic specialization and prepare for careers in international public affairs, cultural diplomacy, nation branding, and health and development communication.Learn More
What Sets Us Apart
Internationally recognized professors, dedicated to student success, who bring a wealth of expertise in corporate, nonprofit, health and political communication
Small classes that balance theoretical concepts with experiential learning and give you the personal attention and support you need to learn and thrive
An outstanding internship program and an extensive professional network of business, nonprofit, and government partners in Colorado and beyond
A close-knit community of students, professors and alumni who will support and challenge you to find your voice and follow your passion
An emphasis on multicultural and global communication and a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion and social justice
- The M.A. in Media and Public Communication requires 48 credits and takes two years to complete on a full-time basis
- Download the Strategic Communication Concentration Coursework Sheet to learn more about specific course requirements
- Download the Media and Globalization Concentration Coursework Sheet to learn more about specific course requirements
- Complete a professional internship, a master's thesis or a substantial research paper as your capstone experience
- You may choose to earn a Graduate Certificate in Public Diplomacy, without adding more credits
See the DU Graduate Bulletin for more information on courses and degree requirements.
Associate Professor in the Department of Media, Film and Journalism Studies, Director of the M.A. in Media and Public Communication and the Graduate Certificate in Public Diplomacy
Associate Professor in the Department of Media and Journalism Studies, Director of the M.A. in International and Intercultural Communication
Associate Professor in the Department of Media, Film and Journalism Studies, Adjunct Professor in the Sturm College of Law, and Faculty Director of the Madden Center for Innovation in the Liberal and Creative Arts