Our oboe studio is proud to offer dedicated support and robust performance opportunities across multi-genre ensembles, including orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber groups and the Modern Music ensemble. Students receive individualized feedback in both the instrument-specific studio class and combined woodwind performance class each quarter. Oboe students at Lamont study with award-winning artists Ian Wisekal and Sarah Mellander Bierhaus. Professor Wisekal is Principal Oboe of both the Greeley Philharmonic Orchestra and Crested Butte Music Festival and previously held the position of Associate Principal Oboe with the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra. Professor Bierhaus is Principal Oboe of the Boulder Philharmonic and is a member of the Colorado Springs Philharmonic and the Colorado-based Antero Winds.
Applicants will preference their top two (2) audition dates for a live audition in Denver on the Lamont application. All auditions are approximately 20 minutes in length. The applicant will choose one of their prepared works to perform. The faculty will choose the second of the prepared works and possibly an additional work as well.
Applicants Unable to Travel to Denver
While Lamont faculty prefer to have applicants audition on campus, those unable to travel to Denver for a live audition may submit an unedited video audition in lieu of the on-campus audition. Recordings received after January 15 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This video should be uploaded through the Lamont application.
Undergraduate (BM and BA)
- All major scales and minor scales
- Chromatic scale, full instrument range (B flat-F)
- One (1) Barret or Ferling etude
- Two contrasting movements or works from the standard solo repertoire
- All major and minor scales
- Two contrasting movements or etudes from the standard repertoire
Graduate (MM and Certificate in Performance)
- Two (2) contrasting movements from the following list:
- Vaughan Williams, Oboe Concerto
- Mozart, Oboe Concerto
- Strauss, Oboe Concerto
- Doráti, Cinq pièces pour le hautbois
- Schumann, Three Romances
- Telemann, Fantasies
- Dutilleux, Oboe Sonata
- Two (2) or three (3) orchestral excerpts of your choice
Artist Diploma: Review requirements