Our oboe studio is proud to offer dedicated support and robust performance opportunities across multi-genre ensembles, including orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber groups and the Modern Music ensemble. Students receive individualized feedback in both the instrument-specific studio class and combined woodwind performance class each quarter. Oboe students at Lamont study with award-winning artists Ian Wisekal and Sarah Mellander Bierhaus. Professor Wisekal is Principal Oboe of both the Greeley Philharmonic Orchestra and Crested Butte Music Festival and previously held the position of Associate Principal Oboe with the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra. Professor Bierhaus is Principal Oboe of the Boulder Philharmonic and is a member of the Colorado Springs Philharmonic and the Colorado-based Antero Winds.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are requiring recorded video auditions from all applicants as well as a live Zoom component.
Recorded Video Audition
Video recordings should be unedited, i.e. do not make cuts or edits in the middle of pieces. It is fine to record pieces separately. Use the best recording equipment you have on hand. Faculty will evaluate you on the quality of your performance and not on the audio/video quality.
This video should be uploaded through the Lamont application. Recordings received after January 15 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Live Zoom Interview
Applicants will preference their top two (2) dates for a live Zoom interview on the Lamont application.
The 2021 interview dates are January 30, February 6, and February 13.
Undergraduate (BM and BA)
- All major scales and minor scales
- Chromatic scale, full instrument range (B flat-F)
- One (1) Barret or Ferling etude
- Two contrasting movements or works from the standard solo repertoire
- All major and minor scales
- Two contrasting movements or etudes from the standard repertoire
Graduate (MM and Certificate in Performance)
- Two (2) contrasting movements from the following list (or equivalent repertoire):
- Vaughan Williams, Oboe Concerto
- Mozart, Oboe Concerto
- Strauss, Oboe Concerto
- Doráti, Cinq pièces pour le hautbois
- Schumann, Three Romances
- Telemann, Fantasies
- Dutilleux, Oboe Sonata
- Two (2) or three (3) orchestral excerpts of your choice