Our oboe studio is proud to offer dedicated support and robust performance opportunities across multi-genre ensembles, including orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber groups and the Modern Music ensemble. Students receive individualized feedback in both the instrument-specific studio class and combined woodwind performance class each quarter. Oboe students at Lamont study with award-winning artists Ian Wisekal and Sarah Mellander Bierhaus. Professor Wisekal is Principal Oboe of both the Greeley Philharmonic Orchestra and Crested Butte Music Festival and previously held the position of Associate Principal Oboe with the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra. Professor Bierhaus is Principal Oboe of Opera Colorado and the Boulder Philharmonic and Associate Principal of the Colorado Springs Philharmonic.
Recent virtual master class guests have included Pedro Díaz (English horn with the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra), Dr. Euridice Alvarez (Oboe professor at Baylor University), and Christine Soojin Kim (Artistic faculty at University of Minnesota).
Applicants may choose to either audition in person in Denver OR submit a recorded video audition and complete a Zoom interview.
Applications received after January 15 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You may indicate your preference for a live or virtual audition on the Lamont application.
Click here to view the current year’s audition/interview dates and the full steps for how to apply.
All auditions are approximately 15 minutes in length. The applicant will choose one of their prepared works to perform. The faculty will choose the second of the prepared works and possibly an additional work as well.
Recorded Video Audition & Zoom Interview
Applicants unable to travel to Denver for a live audition may submit an unedited video audition via the Lamont application AND will complete a live Zoom interview.
The 10-minute interview will consist of a Q&A only. You will not be asked to perform.
Audition Repertoire Requirements
Undergraduate (BM and BA)
- All major scales and minor scales
- Chromatic scale, full instrument range (B flat-F)
- One (1) Barret or Ferling etude
- Two contrasting movements or works from the oboe solo repertoire
- All major and minor scales
- Two contrasting movements or etudes from the oboe solo repertoire
Graduate (MM and Certificate in Performance)
About 15 minutes of music, consisting of:
- Two (2) contrasting movements or works from the following list (or equivalent repertoire):
- Vaughan Williams, Oboe Concerto
- Mozart, Oboe Concerto
- Strauss, Oboe Concerto
- Doráti, Cinq pièces pour le hautbois
- Clara or Robert Schumann, Three Romances
- Telemann, Fantasies
- Dutilleux, Oboe Sonata
- Óscar Navarro, "Legacy" concerto
- Alyssa Morris, Four Personalities
- Two (2) or three (3) orchestral excerpts of your choice
Review requirements for Artist Diploma
Review requirements for Certificate in Orchestral Studies