Our oboe studio is proud to offer dedicated support and robust performance opportunities across multi-genre ensembles, including orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber groups and the Modern Music ensemble. Students receive individualized feedback in both the instrument-specific studio class and combined woodwind performance class each quarter. Oboe students at Lamont study with award-winning artists Ian Wisekal and Sarah Mellander Bierhaus. Professor Wisekal is Principal Oboe of both the Greeley Philharmonic Orchestra and Crested Butte Music Festival and previously held the position of Associate Principal Oboe with the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra. Professor Bierhaus is Principal Oboe of the Boulder Philharmonic and is a member of the Colorado Springs Philharmonic and the Colorado-based Antero Winds.
During the 2020-2021 school year, we hosted virtual master classes with Pedro Díaz (English horn with the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra), Dr. Euridice Alvarez (Oboe professor at Baylor University), and Christine Soojin Kim (Artistic faculty at University of Minnesota).
Applicants may choose to either audition in person in Denver OR submit a recorded video audition and complete a Zoom interview.
Click here for the full steps for how to apply. Applications received after January 15, 2022 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants will preference their top two (2) audition dates for a live audition on the Lamont application. The 2022 audition dates are January 29, February 5, and February 12. All auditions are approximately 20 minutes in length. The applicant will choose one of their prepared works to perform. The faculty will choose the second of the prepared works and possibly an additional work as well.
Recorded Video Audition & Zoom Interview
Applicants unable to travel to Denver for a live audition may submit an unedited video audition via the Lamont application AND will complete a live Zoom interview. Applicants will preference their top two (2) dates for the Zoom interview on the Lamont application, choosing from January 29, February 5, and February 12.
Audition Repertoire Requirements
Undergraduate (BM and BA)
- All major scales and minor scales
- Chromatic scale, full instrument range (B flat-F)
- One (1) Barret or Ferling etude
- Two contrasting movements or works from the oboe solo repertoire
- All major and minor scales
- Two contrasting movements or etudes from the oboe solo repertoire
Graduate (MM and Certificate in Performance)
- Two (2) contrasting movements from the following list (or equivalent repertoire):
- Vaughan Williams, Oboe Concerto
- Mozart, Oboe Concerto
- Strauss, Oboe Concerto
- Doráti, Cinq pièces pour le hautbois
- Clara or Robert Schumann, Three Romances
- Telemann, Fantasies
- Dutilleux, Oboe Sonata
- Óscar Navarro, "Legacy" concerto
- Alyssa Morris, Four Personalities
- Two (2) or three (3) orchestral excerpts of your choice