Viola students at Lamont are part of a tight-knit and encouraging studio dedicated to the pursuit of musical excellence. They study with the principal violist of the Colorado Symphony, Professor Basil Vendryes. Previously, Professor Vendryes was a member of the San Francisco Symphony, the Rochester Philharmonic and the New York Philharmonic. He also performed as a soloist across the country and globe and recorded for Columbia, Phillips, Decca, RCA and Nonesuch as well as chamber music for the Ariel Music, Cadenza Music, Centaur, CRI and Naxos labels.
Applicants will preference their top two (2) audition dates for a live audition in Denver on the Lamont application. All auditions are approximately 20 minutes in length. The applicant will choose one of their prepared works to perform. The faculty will choose the second of the prepared works and possibly an additional work as well.
Applicants Unable to Travel to Denver
While Lamont faculty prefer to have applicants audition on campus, those unable to travel to Denver for a live audition may submit an unedited video audition in lieu of the on-campus audition. Recordings received after January 15 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This video should be uploaded through the Lamont application.
Undergraduate (BM, BA and Minor)
- Three octave major and minor scales
- Three octave major and minor arpeggios
- Two contrasting movements of a work by Bach (Suites for Cello or Sonatas/Partitas for Violin, transcribed for viola)
- A movement (or movements, if connected) of a work of your choice, difficulty level of:
- F.A. Hoffmeister, Concerto in D Major
- Hummel, Fantasy
- Stamitz, Concerto, Opus 1
- Schubert, Arpeggione Sonata
- One etude of your choice, minimum difficulty level of:
- Mazas, Opus 36
- Dont, 24 Studies, Opus 37
- Kreutzer, 42 Studies
Graduate (MM and Certificate in Performance)
- Three octave major and minor scales with octave arpeggio series (Flesch system or equivalent)
- One etude of your choice, minimum difficulty level of Kreutzer, Rode or Campagnoli
- Two contrasting movements of an unaccompanied work by Bach (Suites, Sonatas, or Partitas)
- A movement of a modern concerto, difficulty level of Walton, Bartók, or Hindemith (Der Schwanendreher)
- A movement of a sonata or work with piano (ex. Brahms, Sonata Opus 120 or Schumann, Märchenbilder or Hindemith, Opus 11 #4)
Artist Diploma: Review requirements