Our trumpet studio takes full advantage of Lamont's multi-genre curriculum and performance opportunities. From orchestra to opera to jazz bands, our trumpet players never lack performance opportunities.
Trumpet players study with award-winning faculty with over four decades of combined teaching experience. Professor Alan Hood toured the world with the Phil Collins Big Band, appearing at New York City's prestigious Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall. He's been featured on well over fifty jazz, commercial and classical recordings with the orchestras of Woody Herman, Glenn Miller and Harry James. Hood also shared the stage with Ray Charles, Doc Severinsen, Arturo Sandoval, Wynton Marsalis and Natalie Cole, to name a few.
Applicants will preference their top two (2) audition dates for a live audition in Denver on the Lamont application. All auditions are approximately 20 minutes in length. The applicant will choose one of their prepared works to perform. The faculty will choose the second of the prepared works and possibly an additional work as well.
Applicants Unable to Travel to Denver
While Lamont faculty prefer to have applicants audition on campus, those unable to travel to Denver for a live audition may submit an unedited video audition in lieu of the on-campus audition. Recordings received after January 15 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This video should be uploaded through the Lamont application.
Undergraduate (BM, BA and Minor)
- All major scales, two octaves when possible
- Pick one from the following selections:
- One of the 14 Arban Characteristic studies
- One major solo work for trumpet
- One Brandt, Bosquet or Charlier etude
- Joseph Haydn, Concerto for Trumpet, second movement
For the jazz trumpet requirements, please click here.
Graduate (MM and Certificate in Performance)
- All major and minor scales, two octaves when applicable
- One Charlier etude
- Student's choice of a major solo work for the trumpet
- Two contrasting excerpts from the orchestral literature
Artist Diploma: Review requirements