The Online Certificate in Performance and Composition invites students to further develop their existing practices as a performers and composers. Balancing coursework in music composition with applied lessons in their primary instrument, students will continue to grow as artists and musicians.
In this one-year certificate program, students take two credits of applied lessons and two credits of composition each quarter, developing a balanced approach to composing and performing music.
About the Program
Applicants must complete the graduate application, submit a recorded video audition, and schedule a live Zoom interview. Applicants are also encouraged, but not required, to submit a composition portfolio of 1-2 pieces.
Please select the appropriate studio page to view your specific audition requirements.
- 6 credit hours of MUPR 4000-level Applied Lessons on major instrument (2 credit hours per quarter)
- 6 credit hours of MUPR 4920 Composition (2 credit hours per quarter)
- One traditional solo recital or innovative performance project.
- Juries, as required by the performance area.
- Culminating project in the secondary area (may be combined with solo recital).
Note: Candidates will normally be enrolled in the Online Certificate program for one year. A candidate may, however, request to remain in school longer with the stipulation that they must enroll in applied performance and composition lessons every quarter, even after the required number of credits have been met.